Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Assignment #7- Dance


Choreographed by William Starrett, "Dracula" was performed by the Columbia City Ballet October 28-30th, 2010.  Having the opportunity to attend the opening night of this extraordinary ballet, I was able to have an experience that qualified under a multitude of dances.  From contemporary to traditional ballet, "Dracula" definitely qualified the idea of 'ballet with a bite'.  This ballet also used modern music that connected an older story with a modern twist.  This aesthetic experience allowed me to look at ballet in a different light than I typically do.  Growing up in dance and ballet, I always watched dances and thought about the technique the dancers used and how they connected with the music.  During this ballet, I could actually feel and connect with the music as well as the dancers.  Also, the use of rhythm and "ripple" effects during the ballet provided balance and symmetry to take place in each dance.  Not only were the dancers involved in movement for majority of the ballet, but also the use of acting allowed the ballet to provide unity between the dancers.  The mood of this ballet was very dark and really got me in the mood for Halloween.  The effects that were used provided the ballet with a more "dark" image and also kept me on the edge of my seat at times.  Having the opportunity to see the connections made with the dancers as well as the music allowed me to have a successful experience while watching this ballet.  I feel as though this ballet was very successful on providing the elements of art and principles of design as well as providing an enjoyable experience for the audience that attended.

No comments:

Post a Comment