Monday, November 8, 2010

Assignment #11- Phantom of the Opera

Watching The Phantom of the Opera in class made me think about my childhood.  As weird as that seems, I danced a solo to the song The Phantom of the Opera when I was younger.  I loved being able to watch the film and listen to the music that it portrayed.  Seeing the ballerinas in the opera allowed me to have an aesthetic experience and think about the memories that I created through the music from this Opera as a child.  I have seen many musicals including Wicked and Mamma Mia.  Although Wicked is still my favorite Broadway musical, watching the Phantom of the Opera allowed me to notice the some of the art disciplines we have talked about in class including: dance, music, theater, film, and sculpture.

One of my favorite songs from The Phantom of the Opera is "Think of Me".  During this scene, Christine Daae is chosen to take over the leading role when Carlotta quits.  The scene shows her standing on stage when she first shows the new owners of the Opera that she is capable and then changes to her first performance in the Opera.  Also during this scene, Raoul sings back to Christine during the song.  Another scene that occurs during this song is when it shows the Phantom listening to her first performance. Following the song, Christine is taken by the Phantom while in her dressing room.  This song is very beautiful and the notes that she hits at the end of the song almost take your breath away.

No comments:

Post a Comment