Monday, September 27, 2010

Assignment #4- Architecture and Film

Part 1- Architecture
As shown in the picture of McKissick Museum, the bottom of the building uses stack bonding.  This includes successive courses of stretchers with all head joints aligned vertically.  The top of the building, below the dome, shows a running bond.  This is when the stretchers overlap, also called a stretcher bond.  This building also includes many other elements of architecture.  The columns in this structure include elements from the Ionic Order.  The top where the column "curls" is called the Ionic Volute.  This building also includes a dome.  All of these elements combined make the McKissick Museum an fascinating structure to observe on the horseshoe at the University of South Carolina.


Part 2- Film
"The Girl Who Played with Fire" was a Swedish film that expressed many views of sexuality as well as violence.  I feel as though the director used these two ideas just for the sake of using them to create drama.  While watching the movie, it was very hard to keep up with what was going on as well as read the subtitles.  This created confusion as I tried to watch.  This movie also displayed many ideas of sexuality and violence that I do not agree with.  Through the sexual scenes, I became very uncomfortable.  I also feel as if I would have seen the movie that precedes this one, I would have had a better handle on what the movie was actually about.  The camera work and "close-up" shots allowed the scenes to be structured on a more detailed basis.  This provided the audience with a feeling of involvement in the scenes.  I did not enjoy this movie and wish that I would have had a better movie experience at the Nickelodeon.

No comments:

Post a Comment